I qualified as a nutritionist and became a member of the Nutrition Society because of my passion for healthy living and my belief in using my skills and knowledge to improve the lifestyles of others.
As a former solider I know the demands which can be placed on the body and the mind when pushed to extremes. As a mum, I know the importance of a well balanced diet in giving children the best chance of a healthy life and as a 30 something I recognise the need to stay in shape and to try to still pass for a 20 something.
Advice I have given has been varied; from a teenage girl boxing for Team GB to my voluntary activities and work in the NHS aimed at improving diet and tackling nutrition in the elderly.
I do not believe in diet supplements, crash diets or snake oil products. I believe in empowering people to understand and appreciate the nutritional value of good food and the very positive benefits to be gained. I have plenty of experience in weight management but get consistent results getting clients to their target weight in a sustainable, responsible way.
So I decided to start this blog. It is free, please feel welcome to share my recipes and articles (though I ask that if you do share, you attribute to me). I would be delighted to start a dialogue so message me or comment on my posts.
From the start, I will make the following promises:
1. My recipes are my own and are what I feed my family - I believe in them and I will explain the nutrional value of each recipe I publish.
2. Pseudo-science is well and truly banned from the site - there are too many people who have done a two week online course in nutrition and pass themselves off as experts. They generally talk nonsense. If I make a statement or give an opinion I will always be able to support with proven and reliable scientific evidence. I may not always reference in the blog (as this would get tedious) but feel free to ask me to provide supporting evidence if you want.
3. if I don't know something (my husband thinks I know everything), then I will say so and I will do my best to signpost you in the right direction.
4. I will not give (and am not qualified to give) clinical advice.
5. I will not endorse any products or diets I do not believe in.
I hope this all sounds interesting. Please enjoy the blog and have fun trying my recipes.
Carmel, August 2015.